New Works Application Reminders
// Tuesday, Nov 30, 5pm ET
Tue Nov 30 - 5pm ET
Register above to receive application deadline reminders! All submissions are due by 5 p.m. on Nov. 30. Apply at TheCenterPresents.org/NewWorks.
The Center for the Performing Arts announces a new opportunity for Central Indiana artists, the New Works Arts Commission Project. The Center’s goal is to promote and sustain Central Indiana’s working artists and artistic communities in an inclusive way by supporting the creation of new works across all performing arts disciplines. In this pilot year, the project will involve commissions for live performance presented onstage in the Tarkington theater at the Center for the Performing Arts in Carmel for an on-site and online audience.
In celebrating artists’ voices here in Central Indiana, we promote more diverse, connected and thriving communities. The core theme of the new works must align with one or more of the Center’s Core Values: Integrity, Excellence, Innovation, Collaboration, and Inclusion.
See further details and application instructions below.
Application deadline: November 30, 2021
Awards announced: February 7, 2022
New Works performance Public on-sale: February 2022
New Works performance event: June 4, 2022
- Proposed works must reflect one or more of the Center’s Core Values, which are Integrity, Excellence, Innovation, Collaboration and Inclusion.
- The work cannot have been created or performed prior to December 2021.
- The new work should be 10 to 20 minutes in length.
- Only original or royalty-free music allowed. If copyrighted music is used, all licensing for live and rebroadcast must be obtained by artist.
Support for winners includes:
- $2,500 artist award
- Technical support prior to the performance to assist in development of lighting, sound, and/or set concepts for the new work (must fit within technical guidelines provided)
- Onstage rehearsal time prior to the performance
- Onstage performance in the Tarkington at the Center in a joint event with other New Works awardees
- Professional quality video of live performance
Public engagement opportunities/requirements:
- One virtual education chat moderated by a Center staff member, profiling the artists involved in the project and the concepts behind the created works, to be shared on the Center’s social media platforms during Spring 2022
- One behind-the-scenes conversation moderated by a Center staff member about the creation process, in-person and/or shared on the Center’s social media platforms during Spring 2022
- One preview/talk-back with students from Central Indiana schools, in person or online, during Spring 2022
- Best-effort availability for press interviews
Please note: Artists of color, indigenous artists, artists in the LGBTQ+ community, artists with disabilities, and women artists are strongly encouraged to apply. There is no application fee. Questions? Please contact us at newworks@TheCenterPresents.org
Applications for the New Works awards due Nov 30, 2021.
Winners will be announced February 7, 2022.
Directions and information on parking, attractions, services, accessibility, and nearby dining and shopping options.
As the pandemic continues, ticket buyers agree to follow all health and safety protocols in the Center's venues, including face coverings and proof of vaccination or testing. Buyers also accept responsibility for any risk associated with the visit.