- Application deadline:
January 5, 2024
- Winning artist announced:
- Public reveal at New Works Premiere Performances at the Tarkington:
June 1, 2024
Contact us at
New Works Project | Visual Arts
The Center is commissioning one or more pieces of art for display on the Center’s campus. A commission award of $2,500 will be granted to the selected artist. This commission is open to all skill sets and levels of artistic production. The themes and subject matter of the work must align with the performing arts, the Center’s mission (to engage the Indiana community through enriching arts and educational experiences) and one or more of the Center’s Core Values: Integrity, Excellence, Innovation, Collaboration and Inclusion.
A range of media is eligible for submission, including but not limited to oil, watercolor, acrylic, graphite, charcoal, pastels, photography, printmaking, textile, and mixed media. All artworks should be wall-based and constructed with stable and ready-to-hang materials, including but not limited to stretched canvas, paper, wood, and mixed media.
Artworks may range in size and can be a single object or a grouping of several items. Interested artists may share images of previously made artworks and descriptions with sketches of commission concepts.
This commission is open to all residents, artisans, professional artists, and artist-led teams currently residing in the state of Indiana. Artists of all backgrounds are welcome, including artists of color, artists in the LGBTQ+ community, artists with disabilities and indigenous artists. There is no application fee.
- All artworks must be original and not duplications, copies, or forgeries of other artwork.
- All varieties of wall-based artworks are welcome for submission except films or videos. 3D artworks must comply with dimensional guidelines provided. Artworks must be easily contained and designed to hang close to a wall, with nothing jutting out to a degree that would interfere with people walking by.
- The entire work(s) should not exceed 80” W X 40” H, landscape orientation.
- All works must be made of stable materials and media.
- Art should not contain nudity, offensive language or imagery, copyrighted imagery or corporate logos.
Theme and Aesthetic Information
The Center for the Performing Arts’ mission is to engage and inspire the Indiana community through enriching arts and educational opportunities. The themes and subject matter of art should reflect the performing arts and should support the Center’s mission and core values: Integrity, Excellence, Innovation, Collaboration and Inclusion.
Part A. Complete applicant information
Provide the lead artist’s name, address, phone number(s), email address(es), demographic information and, if applicable, website address and/or social media accounts featuring artwork. If the work will be created by a team, include the names of all team members along with address(es), phone number(s), email address(es), demographic information and website(s) and/or social media accounts featuring artwork.
Part B. Artistic Vision: Upload a written statement addressing the following topics in no more than three pages. (Word, doc, docx & xls files accepted)
- Begin with a brief artistic statement that describes your existing creative work, the media you identify your work with, and your process.
- Share the concept for your commission and how it addresses the performing arts, the Center’s mission (to engage and inspire the Indiana community with enriching arts and education experiences) and Core Values (Integrity, Excellence, Innovation, Collaboration and Inclusion).
- Identify all known or intended collaborators and additional artists, if any.
- Please address how the piece(s) fits the program requirements artistically, technically and spatially. Be specific about your ideas.
Part C. Provide representations of your work (required)
- Proposed new work: Visual representation of the artwork you are interested in creating. This can include sketches, photographs, vision boards, illustrations, similar art examples, etc. Be specific. We want to have a good understanding of your vision.
- Existing work: Upload examples of past and current artwork.
Submit materials and information through the application form at TheCenterPresents.org/VisualArtsApplication.
The submission deadline is January 5, 2024 at 11:59 p.m.
Winners will be announced in March 2024.
If you have questions contact NewWorks@TheCenterPresents.org.